2017 marks the third year of the O Comic Con Model Contest, sponsored and hosted by IPMS Fort Crook. This year, IPMS joins forces with Klingon Arts & Engineering to host yet another contest for model hobbyists. The Model Contest will take place in the ExHall at the IPMS / Klingon A&E booths. (See map). Read on for more information about the Model Contest.
IPMS Fort Crook, in conjunction with the Facebook group Klingon Arts & Engineering, are proud to announce the the O Comic Con Model Contest, 2017. Us proud band of glue sniffing, paint throwing, plastic professors are out to give you a nice display, and encourage you to join in with our annual model contest, in our continuing quest to make boxes of plastic parts into something recognizable to the general population (or ask us questions if you don’t). The theme for this year will be Battlestar Galactica, both the original series and the Sci Fi Channel remake. The rules are simple…..
- Alpha- Starships, Aircraft and Vehicles
- Bravo- Figures & Gundams
- Charlie- Everything Else (Dioramas, Weapons, etc.)
- Cadets- Juniors
There are also two special awards: the Judges Choice and the second, the People’s Choice (more on that later)
Registration & Judging Hours
- All day Friday (12:00 PM to 8:00 PM) & Saturday (9:00 AM to 8:00 PM). Sunday from opening (9:00 AM) until 11:00 AM
- Judging will be 12:00 to 2:00 on Sunday.
- Awards to be presented at about 2:30 on Sunday.
- Winner, or representative needs to be present for the awards
- Contest will be open to all, but Cadet’s category is only for 17 & under; however, if a Junior thinks that he can compete in one of the other three categories, they will be permitted to do so. Judges will be allowed to compete, but will not be allowed to judge in the categories that they have entered.
- Group or Organizational entries are accepted under one of the first three categories. (In other words, if a cosplay group wants to enter under their group name, they are welcome to do so.)
- No fee to enter and entries are unlimited.
- Judging criteria will the following from most important to least…..Construction, Finish, Weathering, Extra work (aftermarket, scratchbuilding, etc.) & Accuracy.
- Only fully built model kits and toys that have had extensive work or rebuilding (seams filled, scratchbuilding of components such as cockpit or weapons, painting & weathering) will be allowed. No pre-constructed toys straight out of the box, or with minor work or just repainting will be allowed. For re-worked toys, documentation of the work done, such as pictures, is reccomended. For 1/1 scale props (weapons), only re-worked toys, model kits or scratchbuilt weapons and equipment will be accepted.
- There will be a NO SWEEPS rule (winner cannot place more than once in a single category)
- Judges decisions are final and cannot be changed or nullified once awarded (so all bribes have to be paid in full by Sunday morning……just joking).
The People’s Choice Award
The People’s Choice Award (known this year as the “So Say We All” Award) is unique, in which EVERYBODY has a vote on their favorite model. We had over 250 votes last year, and I encourage EVERYBODY at O Comic Con to stop in a cast a vote for this year. People’s choice balloting will begin on Saturday at around noon and will last until 11 AM on Sunday. The winner will be awarded during the awards ceremony on Sunday at 2:30.
For people that are interested in scale plastic modeling, or if you have questions, one of us styrene know-it-alls will be happy to speak with you, answer your questions, and give you suggestions on how to improve your skills.
So, get off your fracking butts and build something….anything…and bring it in!
BTW, IPMS Fort Crook is also sponsoring the world’s largest model contest, model shop and convention, for three days, later on in July. We will have more details or go to IPMS Fort Crook!